June 16 2020

Authorities Investigating Death of Veteran Found in Bedford Veterans Hospital Stairwell after Missing for Over a Month


The death of a veteran at the veterans hospital in neighboring Bedford is under investigation by authorities. 


Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan confirmed on Tuesday the ongoing investigation into the death of a 62-year-old veteran who was located in a stairwell on the grounds of the Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial Veterans Hospital campus located at 200 Springs Road in Bedford on Friday, June 12 after he had been missing for a month.


According to a release from the DA’s office, The Middlesex District Attorney’s Office and Massachusetts State Police Detectives assigned to the office will be examining the existing policies and procedures in place at the facility as well as the relationship between the tenant, Caritas Communities and the Bedford VA. The office will also be investigating all of the circumstances surrounding the death and the failure to locate the deceased for a period of time.


According to DA Ryan, on Friday, June 12, a Massachusetts State Police Detective assigned to the District Attorney’s Office responded to the Bedford VA Hospital campus, Building 5, for the report of a deceased male. Upon arrival, the body of a 62-year-old male was located in the stairwell of the building. The man had been last seen on May 8, 2020 and had been reported missing by an employee of Caritas Communities on May 13, 2020.  


Another resident of the facility who mistakenly entered the stairwell located the deceased on June 12, the release states. The door of the stairwell is located in the same building the man was residing in about 20 yards from his room. The preliminary investigation suggests that the man had been deceased for an extended period and was located in the same clothing he had last been seen wearing on May 8.


DA Ryan said investigators have subsequently learned that the deceased was living in a residential area on the campus that was operated by Caritas Communities and that he was able to come and go freely.


The preliminary report from the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner suggests that there was no trauma and there is no foul play suspected. The ruling on the cause of death is still pending.


“This is an open and ongoing investigation,” the release states. “As there is no foul play suspected the identity of the man will not be released by this office at this time while the investigation is ongoing.”


The Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial Veterans Hospital serves veterans from all over the Metro North region.


Web Design by Polar Design