October 11 2018

Man Out on Reduced Bail Indicted for Alleged Assault and Battery on a Pregnant Woman

By: Rich Hosford

A Burlington man who was out of jail after a judge reduced his bail to zero despite facing charges of child abuse has been indicted by a grand jury on a charge of assault and battery on a pregnant woman.


Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan’s office released a list of recent grand jury indictments this week. Included on the list was Carl Taylor, 40, of Burlington, who was charged with assault and battery on a pregnant woman.


According to Ryan’s office and Burlington Police Department logs, on July 21, 2018, police were called to the Archer Hotel on a report of an intoxicated male in the hotel lobby. The male, later identified as Taylor, had checked into a hotel with a woman who was known to him. When police arrived they say they observed Taylor striking the pregnant victim and placed him under arrest.


Taylor was arraigned in Middlesex Superior Court on September 10 and was ordered held without bail pending a dangerousness hearing. On September 19 he was deemed dangerous and ordered held without bail. The next scheduled hearing is October 23.


This was not Taylor’s first run-in with law enforcement. According to a release from Bristol County District Attorney Thomas Quinn III’s office, Taylor was arrested in May, 2014, for substantial abuse to a toddler.  


“The young victim had extensive injuries and suffered seizures,” Quinn said in a release. “The injuries were consistent with violently shaking the baby. The defendant has had a long history of abusive cases where he has served committed time.”


Taylor was indicted in August of 2014 and ordered held on a $20,000 cash bail.


Further, Quinn’s office says that while the case was proceeding Taylor was indicted in December of 2016 on a charge of witness intimidation after he allegedly attempted to have his wife confess to the crime of child abuse. The defendant then allegedly wrote a letter to his lawyer, purporting to be his wife, and demanding that he go into court and plea the case.


Despite all that, Quinn says Taylor was released while the case was ongoing due to a decision by a judge to reduce his bail, a move that Quinn has criticized.


“In October of 2017, despite the defendant’s lengthy criminal history, the very serious nature of the child abuse charges and the fact that he is accused of committing a new crime while the case was pending, Fall River Superior Court Judge Thomas McGuire agreed to reduce the defendant’s bail from $20,000 to $0,” The Bristol DA said. “The defendant was immediately released back to the streets to live at a sober house in Boston.”


Quinn argued that Taylor should not have been released while his case was still unresolved.


“It comes as no surprise that, after being released by the court, he assaulted his pregnant wife while intoxicated,” he said in a statement. “The release of dangerous defendants needs to stop. There is no reasonable justification for his release.”


Web Design by Polar Design