We asked the two candidates for Shawsheen Tech School Committee the same five questions to give voters a look into why they are running and what they would hope to achieve on the board.
Here we have the answers from candidate Christine Kim:
1: Why are you seeking to be elected or re-elected to this position?
A: I am seeking to be elected to the school committee of Shawsheen Valley Technical High School because Shawsheen has given a lot to my child. I want to give back to the community which has meant so much to her growth. I love the teachers and the leadership at Shawsheen. I love the idea that children can graduate with skills that will help them build lives and a future without sky high student loan debt. More choices means more opportunities.
2: What do you see as the most important role of the committee?
A: Working together to achieve a quality education for the students while balancing that with the needs of the teaching staff, administration, and taxpayer dollars.
3: What do you think are the most pressing issues for the committee over the next couple of years?
A: I think the most pressing issue for the Shawsheen School Committee will be the recruitment of quality administrative leadership. Budgeting will be another issue due to the pandemic and its effect on taxpayer dollars.
4: What makes you a strong candidate for the committee?
- I am an accountant. I have extensive knowledge of financial statements and budgeting. I understand the protection of taxpayer assets within the budgeting process.
- I both live, and have, my own business here in Burlington.
- I have a daughter enrolled at Shawsheen so I know the school, the teachers, the administration, the staff and the Shawsheen community of students.
- I have a son that graduated from BHS and a son that is currently enrolled there. This allows me to have a broad scope of understanding into what works, what doesn’t, and what is possible.
- I am open to hearing all sides of an issue and then forming an opinion based on the facts. I believe in compromise to achieve goals that work for everyone.
- I have a good sense of humor (no matter what my kids say).
5: What would you say to voters to encourage them to vote for you? (open question, answer however you like).
A: I believe that I have the passion, caring and educational background and skills to represent the taxpayers and students of Burlington. I’m very excited to be a part of the future direction of Shawsheen Valley Technical High School.